Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Maps to Anywhere


As I was reading "Maps to Anywhere," I found it interesting how Bernard Cooper had many different subsections within his writing. I like how he made it feel as though there was more to his stories than just the words he uses. He uses great imagery. He found his name unique or different compared to "normal" names that were able to be printed on wallets or cups, or when he said his mother even had trouble remembering his name, "calling me home at dusk, she'd stand in the doorway and shout the names of my older brothers-- Richard, Robert, Ronald! - before she remembered mine." This is unique because his brothers names are rather normal and begin with the letter "R," while his is not-so-popular and starts with "B."

As I went on reading, I could feel the same feelings he was experiencing. He's able to draw the reader in. I found that rather enticing. I also like how he made it clear that there didn't have to be a certain way to write and that it's ok to jump around, which is what he did. He jumped back and forth between the subsections. My favorite was Nick the Barber in Atlantis. Nick never leaves the barber shop. "I've driven by and glimpsed him asleep in the barber chair, his face turned toward the street, his combs soaking in blue medicinal liquid, the barber pole softly aglow like a nightlight, the stripes cascading endlessly down, rivulets running toward a home in the ocean."He gave this image so simple and descriptive. He describes the balconies of a house or of buildings and how many were gorgeous. He uses vivid sense of imagery to help me imagine the minor details and how it seemed more than just a balcony.

Another one I enjoyed reading was Spontaneous Combustion. This starts with a firefighter talking to a class assembly telling them how to be safe with fire. I feel like anyone can relate to this. He made it feel like you can be brought back to your childhood when reading this. As it goes on though, I believe he focuses less on fire safety and more about children escaping their hometowns and following their dreams, "so burning their desire for a world beyond the walls." It also ends with "The wise children leap from ledges, disappear into another life, into cool cerulean blue."This is what I enjoyed about his essays. He can jump from one thing to another, but you still are able to follow along and get the meaning from it.

How to Draw is filled with a lot of context. It's interesting because most would oppose his concept of amateurs being more important than professionals artists. He feels amateurs work is better than someone who gets paid a million dollars for a painting.  "No one, to my knowledge, has been killed by a replica of the Jefferson Memorial made out of toothpicks, or a snowflake cut from folded paper, or a poodle composed of pink balloons." Very unique take on this. I can relate to what he is saying here. Sometimes the most valuable things are homemade.

Finishing the book I had a new appreciation for nonfiction essays. He wrote them in a way that I could enjoy reading them. He gives you a glimpse of his real life without ever really doing it. I got enough detail about him and his friends and family, but he didn't really focus on the things that didn't matter, if that makes sense. The stories were short, but to the point. They don't have to be long, he gives enough imagery to set the scene in your mind so you can follow along. I felt like I really got to know his life through these short stories.

1 comment:

  1. Great! Well done, thoughtful, reflective...good response here.

    ReplyDelete